Thursday, December 20, 2012

POUF POWER!

Back in August or September I was parusing the internet and came upon the amazing POUF tutorial at Living with punks and although I haven't even touched a sewing machine in (literally) over 10 years I was determined that my nephews HAD TO HAD TO HAD TO have these for Christmas. I realize this is a tad ridiculous because the youngest will be all of 2 months old, but really if I was doing this I was going to do all three at once.

So seriously I message my sister and asked her what she thought and she agreed these would be awesome. I thought that the tutorial seemed simple enough so I made this my mission. I think I shared at one point the fabric options I have my sister during one of many trips to Joann Fabrics where I got a fabulous deal on this really nice & thickish fabric. I debated for the longest time because I didn't just want a really basic cotton fabric and I wanted it to be kind of age nuetral considering the 5 y.o, 2 y.o and 2 months.



I did this in two phases- I got my stuff cut out one day and the trim put on (which I bought the wrong thing first, so the wrong stuff is on in these pictures)

 I rigged a little way to make my circles- yes really high tech with the card board right??
 I then pinned my felt circle to the fabric and cut out 6 big old circles.
 Circle # 1- oh my goodness!!
All 3 sets of all the pieces for this crazy project. I'd say it easily took about 2.5 hours for all the "prep work"

I didn't take pictures of the "during" process, but the tutorial linked above is amazing and she did a fantastic job that even a dingy slacker sewer like me was capable of following! (see, there is hope!!!)

Now, onto the finished products. I made one the first evening and then the other two the next afternoon. To say I was ecstatic with the finished products would be a complete understatement. Are they perfect? No. Do I really care? No! They each have a little flaw were something went a little wonky but I am so pleased with my DIY that I really didn't even care.












Ta-daaaaaa!! I think they are so stinkin cute and cannot wait to see those little tiny hineys on these. at least there will be some extra super fun seating to open gifts from :)


And if I wasn't crazy enough, I decided to make a few teeny pillows for the kiddos to add to the mix. Sorry for the weird coloring, I took this on my cell and I think I had it on a weird setting. Either way, still loving how these turned out!

7 comments:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said... [Reply]

How funny! I just made a pouf from Living with Punks as well. But, I only made 1. You are impressive...3 and then you made some pillows as well. I wish I were that motivated.

JoKnows said... [Reply]

Wow! They are beautiful. And good for you for doing all that work! I don't think I have it in me. ;)

Stephanie said... [Reply]

So cute--I'd love to try these.

Rasmussen Family said... [Reply]

those are on my list of "must haves" too!

mail4rosey said... [Reply]

I saw the link on Freedom Fridays and came to take a look. These are adorable! Merry Christmas!

Rasmussen Family said... [Reply]

Thanks for stopping by:-)

Domesblissity said... [Reply]

You make this look all too easy. I could do with a few of these for my kids. Thanks so much for linking up at Thriving on Thursdays. I'm featuring this at tomorrow's party. Hope to see you again.

Anne xx