Saturday, December 29, 2012

Handy hubby feature

So I think I have meantioned before that I have a pretty darn handy hubby. Here is some supporting evidence. To preface, I will apologize that there are no BEFORE pictures and not really any during pictures either because I wasnt around for all steps of the process. It is really too bad because the shutters that he started with had lots of old pastel yellow and kind of a kelly green underneath. (we do still have some of the wood with the original paint colors on it that I will post later)

So, are you ready to be amazed??

 The fun part about these shelves, is hubby made 2- one for my mom and one for my sister. Sister wanted her shutter to stay all together and be wider, as seen here. Hubby didn't like it plain and we dabbled with the idea of these stars  (which funny enough came from a string sister gave me a while back and has been seen on other projects here).

 We chose these types of hooks because they were sturdy enough to hold heavy items such as coats, or light duty items too.

This is just a side view to show off a little more of the detail on the side pieces of wood and how he worked it so it looks great!

Hubby, a while ago, experimented with creating this really neat look on wood by burning certain parts before staining to really pull out the awesome grain and make it a great showcase. Great job, right??
Now onto Mom's- she wanted her shutters apart to make a longer shelf (like the original she had seen at a craft store near Sister's house. The reason this was a challenge, is because, as you will see below, it changes the whole game of putting the pieces together.
 Now this one you can see has shaker pegs- Mom just wants it to hang crafty items on and this will serve to replace an older, shorter shelf she already has.

 A nice little side view. Hubby stained the boards and shaker pegs a different color, which you cannot really tell here and either way I think they are a nice compliment.

 Stars were also added to this shelf, but very different ones at that! These were stars Hubby created a while ago using his jigsaw (yes- made by hand folks) and stained differently before putting together. They also complimented the colors well and I think really gave a great look.
 
 
Once again, Hubby used his burning technique. Same kind of wood, different stain and different burning technique. Gorgeous, right??
 
We finished these up at about 2am Christmas eve morning and I took these photos around 10am in the freezing cold outside before wrapping them up and loading them up on the present mobile. I was glad I did it when I did because it began to snow just a few hours later.. and boy was it nuts!!
 
Needless to say they both loved their shelves but hubby really wanted to keep them both!! I guess we will be in the prowl for more shutters soon because now he is dissatisfied with the shelves we already have, which he also made a few years ago (before he had so much experience). 
 
There you have it, the Handy Hubby's creations. Aren't they gorgeous???
Thanks for stopping by. See you all on Monday for a fun sports-enthused project I created for Hubby for Christmas. 


25 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply]

WOW Jodi - they really are gorgeous - what a job!!!
Your Mom and Sis must be thrilled with their Christmas gifts this year!
Take care of that cold - sleep all you need to - guilt free -
I'm not sick - but I've been catching up on R & R big time ( with a little guilt I have to admit lol )
XOX

Tammy said... [Reply]

These are great. I could make such good use out of either of these designs. I'll have to show this to the hubs. Maybe I can sweet talk him into doing something similar for me. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

Audra @ Renewed Projects said... [Reply]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Audra @ Renewed Projects said... [Reply]

What a great idea! I have a couple of shutters in my basement waiting for an inspiration. If I have the heart to cut them...I'll have to play with the idea. Thanks for posting such a fun idea! Your look GREAT!

Roxana White said... [Reply]

I've been drooling over shutter projects for awhile on pinterest. I love these shelves! Pinning, and now following you. Found you on Bouquet of Talent :)

Roxana

http://fourelevenrox.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Love the white ones. We have some ReStore shutters a while back, have to show him. Great ideas!
Janet



Unknown said... [Reply]

Wow, how creative and awesome! I love it. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!

Happy New Year!!

Kathy

Diana of Diana Rambles said... [Reply]

He did an outstanding job! Love them! I'd love you to come link this up at my Pin Me Linky Party. I am a follower now.

Ann said... [Reply]

Clever idea. I like both versions. Hubby done good.

learningtable said... [Reply]

These are awesome, and I'm putting one on my husband's to-do list :) Your blog is so clever, and I'm a new follower.
:)Anne

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said... [Reply]

Great job!

Elizabeth @ Lizzis Creations said... [Reply]

That is so clever! I love how you used the shutter!

Emily Stephens said... [Reply]

Such a fun idea! I'll be on the lookout for some shutters once "yard sale season" starts again!

Jessica said... [Reply]

What a great idea! Love it! Following you back!

Diana of Diana Rambles said... [Reply]

@Diana - FreeStyleMama Thanks so much for linking up!

Mandy Beyeler said... [Reply]

Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts. You were featured today! -
--Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

Unknown said... [Reply]

What amazing thrifty redos! I would love for you to come link up at my new weekly linky party Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. I'm working with a couple of bigger bloggers to feature great projects, so I'm hoping to bring fabulous exposure for participants! http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-1.html

Jenn - A Jennuine Life

Crystelle Boutique said... [Reply]

Oh me oh my! this is gorgeous! You and your hubby make a great team!

hugs x
Crystelle

Katie Drane said... [Reply]

What a clever idea! I'm so glad to be your newest follower, love your blog:)

Hugs,
Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Jenna said... [Reply]

Love this idea! I have an old shutter lying around that this would be perfect for! Thanks for sharing!

Jenna @ rainonatinroof.com

petitehermine said... [Reply]

Wow, that burning technique is gorgeous!

Jenn said... [Reply]

How awesome! They look fabulous. Why don't I ever get gifts like this? :)

keri @ shaken together said... [Reply]

Those shelves are unbelievably GORGEOUS!! Thanks for sharing this at the {what's shakin'} link party!!

Amy said... [Reply]

Stopping by from the GFC! What an awesome project! So creative!

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said... [Reply]

Very nicely done! I am featuring this tonight at my I Love Fridays party. Feel free to drop by and grab a featured button. I'm a new follower too :)