Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The wonders of washi

Many of you might know I have been in a bit of a craft slump. Well not really a slump- just not having the time and when I do I am too wiped out (my own down) to be creative and create.

The other weekend when I was babysitting and took the kiddos to Hobby Lobby, I found these fun cardboard letters of a decent size and they were only $2.47 a piece so I was pretty excited for the possibilities of a really cheap craft (for myself!!)


So here is what I started with- simply the letter and a fun pack of tape I had purchased back before the holidays because it spoke to me- but I didn't really quite have a purpose for it yet. Either way, I just knew I had to use it for this little project. To be fair, I'd rather have had something PURPLE or GREEN but hey, I have been a little more into pink lately, so why not!



I taped at an angle just to be a little complicated fun. You can't see it here, but (you will later) I taped up the edges all fun-like too. Now comes the fun part- which I didn't take pictures of- cutting off all the extra around the edges with my handy dandy cutter. I also put one coat of matte mod-podge and let it dry to give a nice seal and make sure the tape wasn't going anywhere.

I waited until this morning to take pictures in an effort to get a wonderful sunny sky and nice pictures. Well of course it was snowy and windy and cold. There was a little bit of sun but not for long. I was able to snap a few picture of the final product.




I think I will be making some more of these in the future for others. I need some cutting practice or a different blade maybe. I do love the overall look of how it turned out though. I am really ready for spring and these bright colors in nature--- that's for darn sure :)

9 comments:

Eva @ Snappee Turtle said... [Reply]

I love how this turned out!!

Unknown said... [Reply]

Jodi, this is a super fun way to use washi!

Maria said... [Reply]

AWESOME!! it is so pretty and the pink patterns are so much fun! xoxox

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Super cute use for washi tape! I love the bright colors, too - just in time for spring. When I made some paper covered wooden letters for Valentine's Day decor I used an x-acto to cut close to the edges and it worked perfectly. Thanks for sharing your washi idea!

Emily Thompson said... [Reply]

lovely!! How easy and fun! thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays @ Nap-Time Creations ~Emily

Isobel Morrell said... [Reply]

Loved the colour and patterns: but now where to store it, so it doesn't get dirty? That would be my problem! Thanks for showing how you did it!

Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

Diana of Diana Rambles said... [Reply]

Super cute!!

Shandy said... [Reply]

Love how that turned out! I have not yet used washi tape. But I am thinking it's a must now. There are soooo many things you can do with it! Now following you :)

Unknown said... [Reply]

Looks fab - such a great colour.

I would love for you to link this up at the Mommy Archive - we're focused on washi tape crafts this week, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x