Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Vintage Key Saturday Craft

Hey everyone!! Happy Wednesday!

 It has been a gorgeous start to the week with wonderfully warm temperatures and sunny skies. Spring has finally found us and I could not be happier!!

Over the weekend, my parent's visited for a little bit Saturday evening and my mom brought some supplies for a long awaited craft project.

My mom found a key from her childhood home in amongst some belongings from my grandmother quite a while ago and wanted to creat something with it. Recently she found the perfect shadowbox frame at Hobby Lobby as well as some printed burlap. She forgot that she did not have a hot glue gun to pull it all together (she recently let my sister borrow it) so she brought it all along to my house.

I can't say I hated it.

We had fun figuring out how exactly we were going to pull it all together.

I don't have pictures along the way, so just bear with me.


To start, I took a sheet of cardstock and glued the burlap to it. Next, I used my cropidile to punch a hole through both layers. I wrapped some twine around the key, then tied the bow over top to hide it. I pulled the twine through the back and tied a knot to secure it.

After this, we were a little baffled as to what to do with all the BLANK space. I was thinking a word (unlock, happy, joy) and mom was thinking buttons. I sorted through some random stickers and the "CHERISH" sticker seen above stuck to my finger. I proposed this idea to mom and she liked it!! Next we played with buttons (one of our favorite past-times) and finally settled with what you see above.

Don't you love it? We were very happy with how it turned out. I think it is kind of ironic because even though my mom doesn't know exactly what door in her childhood home the key belonged to, there are a lot of cherished memories in that home. Memories of her childhood and memories of my sister's and mine. So many things to cherish.


What memories or places do you cherish most? 

2 comments:

Maria said... [Reply]

This is such a special piece. I love the sentimental meaning it holds too...so pretty! Hope you're having a great week. This weather is such nice running weather! :)
Xoxox

Unknown said... [Reply]

I really love how this turned out, Jodi! And how fun to do it with your mom...! LOVE!!