Friday, April 19, 2013

Lucky Jar

Nope- this isn't really about a jar that brings anyone luck. Rather, one that helps us count our blessings.


Ironically, I didn't make this in light of the Boston Bombing tragedy earlier this week. It is actually a {belated} anniversary gift for my sister and her hubby. They got married March 18th, 2007, just a few months before they were expecting the birth of their first son. 

They have since had 2 more (precious) little ones, moved a few times (one more to come this summer), and gone through some promotions within Cracker Barrel- where my BIL is constantly looking to be promoted and climb up through the company. He is really great at what he does, but of course we all know success comes with sacrifices. My sister is a great mother and stays at home with the kids- well 2 of them as the oldest is in kindergarten. They are able to do this because of the hours and efforts BIL puts in and of course this comes with trials and tribulations. 

I thought I would make them a jar which they can fill with pieces of paper or Popsicle sticks on which they can write reasons the are lucky. Then during tough times or a stressful day/week/month/year, they can look at these things as a family and remember how lucky they really are.


I really just started out with a sauce jar (ironically given to me by my sister) and my awesome chevron burlap ribbon from Hobby Lobby. I cut it to length and hot glued the ribbon onto the jar. 


I then had the genius idea to wrap twine all over the bare remaining jar. This seemed to take FOR-EV-ER.



It does look pretty darn sweet though, right? 


I used my cricut to cut this little tag out of some fun gliittery scrapbook paper (LOVE!!!) and used a paint pen to free-hand "Lucky" onto the tag. I really wanted to incorporate a clover or something but just didn't have anything on hand. 

Either way, I really like how it turned out. Best part is, they are getting it tonight. Hah. I never had time before we traveled to see them last (at my birthday), not to mention I got the burlap ribbon from my mom ON that visit and didn't really have a solid plan of what I was making with the jar until we got home.

What things and people make you feel "lucky" in life? 

Have a great weekend everyone! I will be off making memories as we celebrate Hubby and BIL's birthdays :)


0 comments: