Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years organization

Hi everyone and hope you all enjoyed your holidays and new years celebrations!!

Today I am so excited to welcome all the new followers I have gained in the past week or so and am so happy to have each and every one of you aboard. 

I also want to thank Ann @ Domesblisity for featuring my Poufs today at her linky party! I so appreciate it :)

OK, now onto the post. I actually had the idea to do this prior to Christmas, however I messed up and broke the glass jar.  OOPS. So I had to wait until I burned another candle long enough to try again. I will start out with a picture of the finished product and then work from the beginning.

Well actually first, I am going to share something a little embarassing!! My bathroom drawer. It is literally A DISASTER. All these little things floating around and never can be found so one day in my spacially impaired brain I had this idea- why don't I use the left over jar from Bath and Body works (white barn?) candles and make a fun little container for these little items. So first I grace you with the terrible BEFORE


Terrible right?? How can anyone possibly find ANYTHING in there? Well, it takes a while or you just plan CAN'T. Ugh. (so embarassing!!)



Meet the solution- Mr. Candle Jar turned into a pretty darn cute organizer.



This is what I started with. I burned down (more excessively than normal because of the aforementioned breakage) a wonderful smelling candle then scraped out the little bit that was left over in the jar. Next I peeled off the label and got it all cleaned up and dried out inside and out.


Next, I measured my jar and realized it was a little over 12 inches so I cut two 5"  long (and I think about 3.25" wide) of my primary paper (flip flops!) and then 2"x3.25" strips of the polkadot paper (although I apologize the strips in the first pic are actually only 1" oops!) Anyway, I then pieced them all together and used dotto to join the 4 pieces. 


Using my lovely ModPodge I covered the entire thing and got busy wrapping the paper around. After this was done, I put another layer of podge on the outside.


I was a little irritated with my paper bubbling/crinkling a little but figured it is super cheap paper and its really just going into my drawer anyway. I also ended up going back over a few times with this podge and then sealing with a glitter podge as well to get a little sparkly!!





Now comes the "after" drawer picture. Still not the greatest because I have so much junk (and some items that didn't quite fit as I'd hope - again spacially challeneged)that needs to go in there, but I like the improvement :)
  


I have to say I always love a project that involves ONLY items I already have in the home, especially after the holidays when crafting funds are on a temporary hold.  Anyone else get on an organizing kick this time of year? I always tend to at seasons/temperature changes, but I have to say I have not been very motivated lately thanks to this sinus stuff I have been battling! Lets hope that I don't feel any worse by the end of the day and force myself to make a doctors appointment.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

**please note I am not endorsing for nor did I recieve anything in exchange for using a BBW/White Barn candle jar for this project.


5 comments:

Roxana White said... [Reply]

oh great...now you've reminded me what my drawer looks like. (just kidding, although it does look similar :)

Redecórate con Lola Godoy said... [Reply]

Wow is wonderful. Very interesting and beautiful your blog, congratulations. Kisses from Spain.

http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

Happy New Year.

joanna said... [Reply]

Great Idea!
Happy New Year.
I'm from Pin me linky party. I'm your new follower if you like follow back
http://becreativemommy.blogspot.co.uk/
Joanna

Unknown said... [Reply]

This is super cute! I LOVE how you repurposed your candle jar! GENIUS!...now if it would just warm up so I could wear flip flops! ;)

Diana of Diana Rambles said... [Reply]

Very cute! I have lots of organization to do!