Friday, October 11, 2013

Spooky Faux Mantel

I have said it a lot, but this is seriously my FAVORITE time of year. A few weeks ago I was off work and even though it seemed a little early, I decorated for Halloween and fall simultaneously. I didn't think I would really have the chance so I spent the afternoon/evening decorating it up!

I don't have a real mantel but when we moved into our current place, a really cool piece of furniture was given to us which is the perfect place for decorating.

Since I am a glass bottle/jar/whatever hoarder, I decided to stage a little spooky apothecary scene.

First step, scour the internet for some fun labels to use. Wind up here.
Second, go to the basement and find the perfect items to "labelize"


Third, crinkle up the pages of labels.


Fourth, Brew some tea

Fifth, squeeze the water out of the tea bags, leaving just a little. Use the tea bag to rub randomly over the paper to make the little "antique" and dirty look.


Sixth, go out to dinner and have a good time with your friends while the pages dry.

Seventh, come home, cut out the labels and use adhesive of your choice to put the labels on.

Finally- arrange your bottles and other glass pieces to your liking.




Even better, the fun little witches hat and the one bottle came from TJ Maxx last year for $2 a piece at the end of the season. 

I saw these bottles around quite a bit but never got the chance to make them. Even though I am typically more of a fall/autumn person, I am really happy how they turned out and glad I made them!


When do you start to decorate for fall/halloween?


0 comments: